Thursday, September 29, 2011

Funny things people have asked/said to me...

So being a white person in the Philippines is pretty rare...but...being a young, pale, freckled, blonde female causes lots of pointing, staring, giggling, and random "Hi's."

It's been an interesting experience living in a culture where you are the minority.

In America, if a dark skinned/haired person walked into a room, we wouldn't give them a second glance.

Here, if I walk ANYWHERE, I am stared at like I'm Lady Gaga.

So, needless to say, people are fascinated by us.

This has led to some interesting conversations.

Here are just some of the funny/random things people have asked or said to us...

-"Americans just like to eat bread, tomato soup, and potato chips."
I'm not sure where the tomato soup came from...

-"You're so white and beautiful."
At least paleness is considered pretty somewhere!

-Man: "You are American, so I know you have four or five cars!" Me: "Actually, I just have one car." Man: "No, no. You have four." Me: "Umm..."
I am American, therefore I am automatically a millionaire.

-*When visiting a high school, we asked if any of the students had any questions for us. Everyone was too shy to ask anything until one little girl finally got the courage to stand up and ask... "Is the world really going to end in 2012?"
I am American, therefore I am automatically all-knowing.

-Man: "Where are you from?" David: "The U.S." Man: "Where at in the U.S.?" David: "Oklahoma" Man: "Oooh, tornados!"
Thanks, Hollywood.

-*After seeing the mass amounts of freckles on my shoulder, a little girl gets a horrified look on her face and asks "What happened!?!"
Haha, that one's my favorite.

That's just a few for now...I'm sure there will be plenty more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment