Saturday, December 3, 2011

What I've become.

We will be back in America in just three short days. Three. 

It's going to be so strange to leave this place that has become so familiar to us where we have a group of people who love and care for us.

This trip has been life-changing, eye-opening, and all together just a wonderful time to learn more about myself and my relationship with God, David, and the world around me.

I've become a better person, christian, wife, and friend because of our time here. 

I've learned that our world is so much bigger than jobs, money, security, and stability. 
I would get on facebook to check up with our side of the world and I found myself getting frustrated at the things people were posting. Worries about getting a job, finishing a paper, winning a sports game, etc. It's so pointless in the grand scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging...I am talking to myself as much as anyone else. I just wish that we would spend more of our time worrying and praying for those who have nothing rather than praying to receive more of something we don't need.

I've learned that we shouldn't pity the poor.
Before we visited the villages, I tried to prepare myself for all of the pain and heartache we would see. I just knew that I would be overcome with pity and sadness for those living in poverty, but instead I found nothing but joy.
Every person I met was just overflowing with the most joyful spirit despite their living conditions or social status. It was intoxicating. I found myself leaving these slums happier than I was before entering them. These people were content living with their families even if they only made a dollar a day. Yes, living on a dollar a day is terrible and shouldn't be happening when so many of us have thousands in a savings account...but don't pity those people. Love them. And out of love comes generosity.

I've learned that experiences are what make us rich.
If you have not traveled, do it. You don't have to travel across the world to do missions for 3 months (although I highly recommend it,)...just travel. Anywhere and everywhere. There is nothing like experiencing another culture and getting to know the people in it! It's living at its best. So instead of saving up for that one new thing that will get old and break...use your savings to make your life richer and buy something that will stay with you forever. You only have one life...live.

I've learned that God is so much bigger than we make him out to be.
We put a limit on how great our God is when we focus our faith on doctrine and rules. God is so much bigger than our idea of church. Does it really matter if you are worshiping with or without instruments when people are going hungry? Does it really matter how big your building or your budget is when girls are being sold into prostitution? Does it really matter what the name on your church building says when so many people have never heard about the love of Jesus? I would hope that God cares more about healing our hurting world through his son Jesus, than whether or not we sing two or three songs before the closing prayer. But, maybe that's just me. 

And, I have also learned that if you can travel internationally with your spouse and survive...you can make it through anything. Seriously.

All that being said, it's been an amazing experience and one that has shaped me for life.
I am going to miss living here and being with the people, but I am so ready to get back to the states to be with our family, feel some cold weather, and eat something other than rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment